Tuesday 26 January 2016

Week 19 - Kiritimati, Tabakaia 1st (Companion: Elder Afatasi)

Email dated: January 25, 2016

Hey Au Utu,

Sounds like it was a fun weekend, I completely forgot about Straya (Australia) Day but I'll celebrate it tonight with some of the elders. We have the Vegemite I got, TimTams and Milo Elder Darm got from his mum for his birthday. 

President and Sister Weir did not leave on Wednesday because of storms so they stayed up until today, Monday and they almost didn't get on the the plane today! But we are glad we got to ship them off. however, senior couples from Tarawa, the Jenks are coming to Christmas Island for a week as well so will be another busy week. 

I had an interview on with President, he asked me a bunch of questions to see how I am going, and he asked what I want to do after my mission... already! so we talked about school and he really wants me to go BYU Provo for the fall 2017 semester (September). So if all goes well I'll only be home for a week or 2 before I head off again. What do you guys think? He has already printed out the essay questions for me to think about. 

Questions are like this:
1. Most difficult experience, how I over came it and what I learnt (I have no idea?!?)
2. What CES school (BYU Provo, Hawaii, Idaho) would you most like to attend/ why
3. Tell us anything else (experiences, circumstances, interests hobbies, etc.) 

Still got a long time but President wants me thinking about it. 

Morei is fine, he's free but still heavily addicted to sniffing fuel and its hard to get him to stop,  not sure what to do really. There is a new missionary in the district, Elder Beachum, replacing Elder Johnson who left with President. He's really cool, and has a Gopro 4 silver, made me miss gopros so much! 

While President Weir was here, he right in front of me started a new transfer board and asked me who I wanted as a new companion! I told him I couldn't choose and he was like "alright, you missed your chance". He's a funny guy. but the plan for now is that Elder Miller will replace Elder Afatasi.  

Despite not being able to teach much we still had 2 baptisms this Saturday! Laomi and Tatea. Laomi is 17 and has a child, we couldn't have her baptised before because we thought her partner (23) slept  with her, however we just figured out that Laomi's mum doesn't let him sleep over at all and only lets him visit during the day to visit their child. 

Tatea, 19, lives at a members house since she's been back from school in Fiji. so she was a referral, and she has just been golden. At first she was difficult to teach because she asked really hard questions to try and stump us but since she started reading the Book of Mormon she started gaining her testimony and really wanted to be baptised.  

Both of them I am so happy for and my favourite thing is hearing their testimonies after they are baptised. nothing makes more happy to see people changed and have a desire to be disciples of Jesus Christ and I get to be apart of it!

Well thanks for the email, have a good week, love you all,

Love Elder Berends 

No comments:

Post a Comment