Saturday 12 September 2015

Week 1 - MTC Provo

Elder Danien Berends - Salt Lake City Temple
We received Danien's first email from the MTC today, been hanging out for it all week ! Here are some excerpts from his email:
"...(on the 13 hour plane ride from Brisbane to Los Angeles) I was super righteous, didn't even touch the screen in front of me once (for those friends of Danien's, once you start your mission you give up a lot of your normal habits and interests, this includes movies and television). I didn't sleep, it was the longest day of my life, It must have been 36 hours without sleep. Once I got to Salt Lake City (SLC), Aunty Val and Uncle Mike were there waiting for me at the airport...
...Val and Mike took me on a tour of SLC, driving on the left hand side was weird but SLC is so cool, you are surrounded on all sides by mountains and everywhere else is so flat...
...Talk about Mormon Central, while driving on the highway you can spot soooooooooo many Mormon chapels and I at least spotted 6 temples...
...Visited Temple Square as well (see attached pictures) its amazing I'm pretty sure everyone who visits, member or not, must feel the spirit...
...MTC is super busy, still haven't had time to feel home sick, especially learning the language. Fun fact: Kiribiti alphabet only has 13 letters and the reason its pronounces Kiribas is because "ti" = c. Today I already taught my first lesson in Kiribit!! and its only day 2 of learning the language! We have a great district who are all heading for Kiribati and we are all trying and praying so hard to learn the language. Our language classes are all taught  entirely in Kiribati and we have to ask permission in the Kiribati language to ask something in English which is pretty hard but it will force us to learn quicker.
I'm 1 of 2 Australians that I've heard of out of 2000 missionaries which means I might be picking up an American accent.
...Sooo much food as well! its just like a giant Sizzlers including soft drink machines and kinda subway bar and salad bar.
My accent is already going weird. I catch myself pronouncing words like, tomato differently. My Companion is Elder Graham from Minnesota, he's pretty cool and really enthusiastic, loves working out and is trying to convince me to work out with him to get "Yoked".
My Australian Accent seems to be pretty interesting to everyone I meet, oh and on my first day I had to hang out with the Fijian speaking elders and sister because all the other Kiribati Missionaries where coming the next day, so I got to learn some Fijian and sing hymns in Fijian which is surprisingly easy. Just this week 600 new missionaries arrived at MTC and they have over that many every week which is insane!! sorry this email is a mess but I'm just unloading everything that comes to mind. I'll get better haha.
Tiabo!
love Elder Berends"

My address at the MTC is:

Elder Danien Gabriel Berends
OCT20 MRI-MAJ 
2011 N 900 E Unit 237
Provo UT 84602
Inside the Tabernacle, SLC
Salt Lake City Temple


3 comments:

  1. He looks like he's having so much fun and he must be really good at picking up languages hahaha
    Maddie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He thinks he is doing well, but I wonder ... there must be so much to learn. He certainly sounds upbeat and that is what makes me happy :)

      Delete
    2. He thinks he is doing well, but I wonder ... there must be so much to learn. He certainly sounds upbeat and that is what makes me happy :)

      Delete