Saturday 4 June 2016

Week 37 - Tarawa, Temaiku 2nd (Companion: Elder Neeti)

Email dated 30 May 2016

Hello, 

So dad finally got something!! looks sweet! have you eaten any yet? are you going to jerky it? (in reference to Mark's latest hunting trip) 

This week here has been pretty good, getting things going with our area. A lot of our investigators from before are children (9-13), but I'll try and encourage their parents through them. Also got a bunch of new investigators and picked up some really old ones that I found in the area book that seemed to be forgotten. Then we tried our luck with tracting and picked up 2 really solid investigators from the same house. A 17 year old guy, Teteta, and this lady, Tirirake, who actually had lessons way back in 2013, was close to baptism but her Elders were transferring and she was told that the new ones would come to visit but they never did. 

It's pretty sad, I've seen that a lot in this area, investigators just stop getting visited because new Elders come. It has taught me the importance of the Area Book. Except its really hard to understand the area book sometimes, especially when it comes to the directions to the investigators house. Because there are no street names its "the house 2 houses down from so and so's house" but the problem is Elder Neeti and I are both new to the area and we don't know anyone yet. So finding people is fun, ahaha. 

I'm learning a lot from Elder Neeti and it's so sick that we can both say we are from Kiritimati.

District Leader really isn't that busy of a job, just on Wednesdays (District Meeting) and Sundays (Baptismal Interviews). So yeah, on Wednesday we had district meeting, a lot missionaries are new to the district so I had everyone introduce themselves. Then I really wanted to set some goals for our district so I had everyone suggest things that we should be doing to ensure that our investigators are experiencing real conversion. Things like fellow shipping, prayerfully extending commitments, etc... and then from there we set weekly goals for our district that will help us and our investigators to real conversion. All done in Kiribati as well and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. 

But Sundays are kakua (to make tired). So most the day was spent interviewing baptismal candidates and then biking to the sister's area and doing their interviews. I really do like doing the interviews but it takes up all our time for teaching and Sundays are the best for teaching because everyone is home. But yeah, district leader isn't too scary. 

We have some sweet members here, this really sweet lady made mum a necklace and earrings and dad a necklace. By the way mum, you have a lot of stuff made for you from members and investigators in Kiritimati, but dad... e tibwa reke 1 am bwai (it just gained 1 your thing) hahaha. 

Ngaia, that's about it, yes the whole zone actually gets together for pday at Moroni High School. So that's where I'll be heading after emails, hopefully the parcel is there. 

Love Elder Berends


I found my self a cheap camera that no one is using, so I can take photo's again... but since I haven't had a camera for months I've forgotten that taking photos is something I should do... sooo... I've only taken 1 so far and it is of Ataniwi's baptism.  

No comments:

Post a Comment