Tuesday 26 April 2016

Week 32 - Kiritimati, Tabakaia 1st (Companion: Elder Miller)

Email dated: 25 April 2016


Hello Family,

What's going on... Yes I did get news about transfers. I'm heading to Tarawa and I'll be working in the Temwaiku Branch as district leader. So scared, feel way to green to be in leadership but should be fun. My companion is actually from Kiritimati and I dropped him off at the airport earlier this year when he was heading to the MTC. His name is Elder Neeti. I'm flying for Fiji on the 18th may and then Tarawa the day after.

Plane for Fanning was cancelled till this Friday coming so I'm still with Elder Miller.


Baptism went really well, Taataua was baptised but Kautaake we are going to wait on a bit longer just to make sure she is ready. We did the baptism in the ocean because the pump for the font wasn't working. It was a really good service and we are waiting for her husband to get out of jail and we'll complete the family.

With Kautaake... Shes still on track but the kouben influence is strong. However her mum is progressing so well, she is the sweetest lady ever, but she is so heavily influenced in the Catholics traditions, its pretty funny. We asked her to pray about Joseph smith in the lesson and it was a really good prayer but instead of praying about Joseph, she prayed to him. 

And another lesson she was really excited to say the prayer which was really cool and then she pulled out a piece of paper headed as "te tataro ni kaukuki" (a prayer of opening). she had got Kautaake to write down the prayer.


She is so legit though, she really gets why the church had to be restored, even in our first lesson with her, she told us that catholic doctrine didn't make sense to her. She came to church this Sunday as well! She's still doing this all behind her mums back which is really funny, we are actually teaching 2 other guys from that house so the grandmother must hate us so much now.

I'm really sad that I'm leaving this area through I really wish I could stay for at least 1 more transfer. It sucks to think that the possibilities of me returning to this island in my life time is low but I guess that depends on how rich I get.

Also, 2 funerals went down this week, one for this old lady who's body was stuck in Hawaii for about 2 months. It finally arrived this Wednesday and she was buried the following day after the service they opened the casket for people to have one last look... I have no idea why the body had been dead for 2 months and she did not look pretty.

The second funeral was a lot more heart breaking. I don't know if I've ever mentioned Akato in my emails but he is the 2nd councillor in the district presidency here. He is the coolest guy and him and his family are so faithful and strong. They have 2 children, a baby girl who was just born this year and Jenny who just turned 1 last year. So baby Jenny has been really sick for a couple of weeks now and just passed away this Thursday. We were actually there when it happened. Elder Miller and I were teaching Taataua and then Akato walks passed our lesson and hugged Menuea (RS president) and broke down in tears and we heard him say "e mutirawa baby Jenny" (she rests, baby Jenny). It was so heart breaking, but lucky we were their at the time to be able to drive Jenny's body to where she needed to go and help Akato make phone calls and while we were helping him do the rounds, he said to us "I'm so grateful to our Heavenly Father right now for the knowledge of the plan of salvation, that's what's giving me peace right now" they are such strong members and happy people.

So yeah that's about it for the major events this week. Hey update on whack food I've eaten, I had this a while ago but I forgot to tell you. I had raw turtle, it was interesting. Rice and flour is back but not sugar.

yeah, that's about it,

Love Elder Berends
Utibwebwe (from the YSA) heading off on his mission this week




Utibwebwe (from the YSA) heading off on his mission this week



Moving House



No comments:

Post a Comment