Monday 18 April 2016

Week 31 - Kiritimati, Tabakaia 1st (Companion: Elder Miller)

Email dated: 18 April 2016


Hey Fam,

This weeks been a good one as always. Bag was found, word somehow got around that my bag was missing and some old guy ended up having it with everything in it except for a gospel picture book which I'm not to fussed about.

Sad news though, its pretty much confirmed I'm being transferred... transfer board says Elder Miller is getting a new comp but not sure where that puts me yet. So yeah in 5 weeks I'll be heading out.

Any updates on the camera battery stuff? if its possible talk to the shipping company and see if it can just be shipped to Tarawa. 

This coming Saturday we will be having 2 baptisms, Nei Taataua and Nei Kautaake. Both I'm really happy for, Taataua say shes been getting some slack from family and friends for being baptized but she still stood up for the church. I've already seen how much a blessing the gospel has been in her family ever since her daughter was baptised 2 months ago. 

And Kautaake has been a struggle, she was never good with Book of Mormon reading, at one stage she was super defensive about the Catholics had a bad problem with Kouben (Tabaco, mixed with coral from the ocean and cool-aid). But now she has come a long way, she's changed the types of people she hangs with, got her mum (Moannara) to take lessons with us and is reading, understanding and loving the Book of Mormon now! in one lesson this week she described 1st Nephi to us flawlessly, she used everyone's name, places, events and even explained to us what she leant spiritually to us. Elder Miller and I where amazed. So yeah fun.

Elders Miller and Beacham will be leaving for Fanning this Wednesday so Elder Fonseca and I will be working London and Tabwakea 1st for a week. 

right now uaimata (pink eye) is plaguing Kiritimati, its ridiculous how quickly it spread, Elders Darm, Osborne, Johnson and Parry have it but I'm yet to get it. 

Funny story, Elder Darm just get pink eye right before he left for Fiji to be transferred. He got on the plane to Fiji and after was meant to get on a plane to Tarawa. So the day after we put Darm on the plane to Fiji, Elder Millers email blew up with emails from Tarawa asking if Darm was still in Kiritimati because he didn't get off the plane in Tarawa. So for 3 days nobody had any idea of where Elder Darm was until finally we get news that he is stuck in Fiji because they didn't let him on the plane to Tarawa because of his pink eye. 

This mission is such a pain when it comes to transfers, flight never go to plan. 

I'll see about Mothers day, if I'm still on this island I'll definitely be able to skype. 

Anyway, I'm really going to miss this area. really wish I could introduce ya'll to all the people here. 

laters, bye

Love Elder Berends. 


  

No comments:

Post a Comment